Pages

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Writer's Workshop Mentor Texts Linky Party




Funky First Grade Fun is having a linky party and this is one I can really get in to! The hard part was narrowing down the list of books I LOVE to use during writer's workshop.  So, here a few of my favorites:


 I use Owl Moon for SO many lessons!  It is perfect for teaching about a small moment.  It's also great for adding details or describing words.  Plus, I use it for Reader's Workshop - especially for visualizing.  It's great for including all the senses.  



The Best Story is one of the first books I read each year in Writer's Workshop.  It's great for teaching where writer's get their ideas.  In the end, the main character learns that the best story comes from your heart.  After reading it, I give each student a paper heart and they fill it with words/pictures of the things/people they love.


I love any book illustrated by David Catrow!  His illustrations are so funny and cute!  I Wanna Iguana is a great book for teaching letter writing or persuasive writing. 



I read The Important Book during my poetry unit.  It's great for teaching that you can write about anything and for adjectives. 

These are only a few of the great books I love for teaching Writer's Workshop.  I can't wait to see what other people post.

4 comments:

Christine said...

Those are all amazing books! When I read you post, I kept thinking - I have that book! thanks for the ideas. I am you newest follower!

Christine

hoppingintofirstgrade.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Love these books! You must check out Max's Words by Kate Banks! GREAT for details, adjectives, and collaborating during Writer's Workshop.

Courtney Taylor said...

My newest favorite is Little Dog Lost to teach about a small moment. I hone in on the rescue of the dog and describe how that is a Small Moment. My first graders clapped when I finished reading it.

Courtney Taylor said...

My newest favorite is Little Dog Lost to teach about a small moment. I hone in on the rescue of the dog and describe how that is a Small Moment. My first graders clapped when I finished reading it.