Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Reading Buddies

I seriously need to get better at posting on here.  I don't know how people find the time to do it every day!  They must be better at time management than I am.

Every Friday, my class gets together with a 5th grade class to have "reading buddies." Each first grader is paired with a fifth grader who listens to them read.  The kids (both 1st and 5th) LOVE this time and look forward to it.  Plus, it's a nice break for me because the 5th graders are really doing the teaching. 

This week, we decided to do something a little different.  Recently, our school purchased subscriptions to raz-kids.com.  Each student gets a log-in and I can set what level they read at.  Then, the site gives them books on their level to read.

We have a set of laptops that the school shares and I've never used them with first graders before, but I've wanted to get more technology in the hands of my students.  So, with the help of the 5th graders, my students were able to learn how to open them, turn them on, and get to the raz-kids website.  Then, the first graders read the online books to their buddy for the remaining time.  It was an awesome way to introduce the laptops and the website to my firsties!  Here are a couple pictures. Enjoy!



No comments: